Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Zatanna!



I know it's been a while since my last post. I'm literally in the middle of penciling "3 Story: The Secret History of Giant Man" right now. I have about 100 pages of the 200 pages penciled and should be done next month some time. In the meantime, I got a few more commissions -- this one is for someone at MoCCA! MoCCA is this weekend so if you're going, stop by and say 'hi'! I've got my own table on the first floor by the windows near Christine Norrie and crew.

Anyway, Zatanna -- always liked her but never realized how hard it is to draw her without making her look like a total tramp. Well, I tried not too. I also wanted to have a her saying a spell without using a word balloon so I used the background poster to make it look like she sort of has dialogue. Also -- the story is that she's being attacked by the demon in an alley -- the same demon that was supposed to appear in her show (advertised on the poster behind her). Not sure if that comes across, but that's what I was thinking.

Also -- the penciled Zatanna is my preliminary drawing -- which I accidentally started doodling on the back of so some weird brushstrokes bled through...sorry!

That's it this week! I'll post some penciled pages of the Giant Man story soon....

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zatanna is the sexiest super hero of all time. Yes. Yes. Yes.

kfreeman said...

That looks great, Matt. I hope you're having fun at MoCCA. See you at Heroes Con in a couple of weeks.

Anonymous said...

Aaarg Mocca!

I was there, but missed the 'A' room entirely somehow.

So sorry I missed you.

Next time, if the wife let's me. That heat!)

Jp Pollard said...

It was great seeing you and your wife at MoCCA! I just finished superspy (very very cool). Cant wait to see what Giant Man's going to look like!

Ron Salas said...

Hey Matt. Congrats on being nominated for Harveys, man! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Matt, I just came across your novels. I'm looking for a graphic novelist for my book on "union tales" integrating old time stories of union values and current philosophies, geared at 10-14 year olds. Do you do something like this?

Carl V. Anderson said...

Fantastic! Zatanna is a bit trampy in that outfit...but as a guy that is probably part of the appeal! ;) Love the way you worked the spell in to the poster. The owner of this work is truly lucky.

Unknown said...

Hi Matt,

a friend of mine just received a HUGE box full of comics from the states, and "Super Spy" was among them. I couldn´t read it yet, cos he wants to read it first (we almost had a fight for it, but he´s much bigger than me), but i took a quick glance at it, and Gee! it look really great.

Feel free to visit my "Bang-Utot: Comic+ illustration" account,the portfolio section,if you wanna check my stuff.It´s in spanish, though.

Greetings from Buenos Aires, Argentina, we are hoping to attend Mocca next year!

Unknown said...

Amazing work! I hope you'll return to this blog.